Internal Complaints Handling Initiatives
- Service & Complaints Guides
- A Practical Guide to Handling Consumer Complaints
- Best Practices in Handling Customer Complaints
- A Guide for Consumer Complaints Management
- 6 Steps to Achieve Customer Service Excellence
Internal complaints-handling initiatives are processes and measures companies use internally to address customer problems, complaints and conflicts. Examples include complaints assistance through toll-free telephone numbers and in-house customer service representatives, internal ombudsmen and adherence to complaints-handling standards.
Examples of Internal Complaints-handling Initiatives
Many of Canada’s banks have internal customer problem resolution processes. A pamphlet, typically provided at bank branches or via the Internet, sets out the basic elements of the process. Usually, the first step is contacting the branch customer service representative, and, if this proves unsatisfactory, the branch manager. Banks frequently offer a toll-free line, fax or mail option so customers can communicate with a specialized customer service representative about their unresolved complaints. For customers who are still not satisfied, most banks have an internal banking ombudsman. There is also an ombudsman for the entire banking industry.
Complaints-handling Standards for Business
Standards Australia, the British Standards Institution and the Argentinian Standards Organization have all developed complaints-handling standards. Standards Australia has also developed a guide to preventing, handling and resolving disputes. The International Organization for Standardization (ISO) is now developing an international standard on complaints handling, with participation from Industry Canada’s Office of Customer Affairs. All of these standards initiatives set out benchmarks for the development and implementation of effective complaints-handling initiatives, emphasizing the need for fair, transparent, efficient processes operated by well-trained employees, the importance of adequate financing, and a system for tracking and monitoring complaints.
- Market-based Customer Complaints Handling Initiatives
- Preventive Customer Complaint Handling Initiatives
- Internal Complaints Handling Initiatives
- External Private Dispute Resolution Initiatives
- Comprehensive Complaints Handling Systems
- Characteristics of Effective Online Trustmark Programs
- Online Redress
- The Need for Effective Customer Complaint Handling Initiatives
- Customer Complaint Handling Initiatives and the Law
- Developing and Implementing Complaint Handling Initiatives
- Elements of Successful Customer Complaint Handling Initiatives
- Where Can I Get More Help?